Mon. - Fri. 9 am - 5 pm Ask a Question
Remember me

Row-column possibilities!!

1 month 5 days ago #1

• Alexander
There is a weakness of the gridbox editor compared to other editors.

Had experience with Elementor VP. It's done really well there.
What do I mean, what can be improved. But you can go further and make the gridbox the perfect solution.

1. margin left-right for any plugin or column.

2. Alignment for columns in the row horizontally (left\right\center).

3. Ability to set indents between columns in adaptive

4. In the adaptive, any number of columns is displayed to the full width of 12, after which you need to redo everything tediously and for a long time. This will solve the scripts for the behavior of the columns in the adaptive, which will speed up the work (in the row settings, select the sizes as on the PC (3+3+3+3 or 6+6+6+6))
By the way, on the PC it is not possible to make columns inside the row 12+12 +12+12, you need to do 4 lines of 12, and this is an extra code out of the blue.

5. Make 2 options for choosing the number of columns through numbers (4 + 4 + 4) and just how many equal columns are needed in a line, at least 7, at least 10. Or, as in p.4, through numbers, but without restrictions (6+6+12+6+6+12) or (4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4) - and it's all in one row!!!
Then on the mobile version there will never be a problem of 3 columns when you need to make 2 columns on the mobile one or significantly change the order of the blocks, but this is impossible and you need to do an alternative section for mob.

6.Ability to set same indents for all columns in the row(don't want to use presets here. especially they are not very comfortable to use and do not always behave as you expect)

7.Custom column width in percent(as option) Now this is only possible within 12 columns(5+7). Often fine tuning is needed to get elements to fit. 4 + 8 and 5 + 7 is a very big difference

1 month 5 days ago #2

• Artem
Hi there,

Let's talk :)

1. Horizontal margins for plugins and columns
Please show me an example of when you need horizontal margins and paddings. How do you plan to use them?

2. How columns can be aligned horizontally if their width is 100%?

3. We will try to find a solution for this

4. Agree, the width of the column should inherit width from the parent device

5. Regarding the 3 columns - on modern smartphones screens in landscape 3 columns look good, for portrait use 1 column

6. What's the problem with presets? The ability to set a default preset for any element was created for such cases.

7. Show please real example where is needed

We'll not add some options because someone has, it's not our story. Gridbox is a Gridbox, we'll not try to be like any other product.

I will explain why our position - creating and adding new options is not a problem, the problem is performance optimization. All these things generate a lot of code, which can slow down the builder. The grid is a core of everything and it's really not a simple thing

Understand me correctly I really appreciate your suggestions

1 month 4 days ago #3

• Alexander
Hi, thanks for the reply! ;)

1. Such an opportunity is needed to make indents between columns or if you implement the ability to add any number of plugins to 1 column with a custom width (I wrote about this in detail below).

2. Yes, now there is no need for this, as an exception, there was probably a bug, when after hiding one of the columns, the others did not fill its space.

3. Yes, it will make life easier)

4. OK

5. The problem of 3 columns arises for company logos, for social networks, for benefits like here, or in the footer. On mob. anyway, often 2 in a row is needed.

6. In general, the tool is not very clear to use, I tried several times to implement it into my work, but each time I quickly encountered some strange problem and it was easier to do it the old way. The feeling that this tool is missing something, perhaps you need a detailed master class on its use in different situations on the blog.

7. On complex layouts, in adaptive, in footer, when there is a lot of content, when the distance starts to shrink, and 4 + 8 is small, and 5 + 7 is a lot. Also, if you want the content of the 2nd column to go immediately after the 1st, now this is an approximate value that floats in the adaptive.

Now you always have percentages, which means the element will definitely take up the entire column (for example, text), if you do not give a padding (for example, on the right), but in adaptation it will start to become much narrower, the words will move to new lines, this will change column height, as a result, the site looks unpredictable and it is difficult to make a high-quality adaptive. With the new approach, I set the width of the text column to 400px, left alignment and it's always 400 as long as possible, always looks the same and predictable, and in some cases I don't need to make an adaptive for this column at all.

Or this ability to give elements 50% 25% width and horizontal-vertical alignment makes it possible to make websites more optimized. Less lines, less columns, less styles.

2 options
1.standard gridbox
line
    column
          photo
    column
          photo
    column
          photo
    column
          photo

line
    column
          photo
    column
          photo
    column
          photo
    column
          photo

2. with a new feature (as in elementor)
line
    column(align center, center, margin 20)
        photo(width 25%)
        photo(width 25%)
        photo(width 25%)
        photo(width 25%)
        photo(width 25%)
        photo(width 25%)
        photo(width 25%)
        photo(width 25%)

or
        photo(width 25%)
        text(width 75%)
        photo(width 25%)
        text(width 75%)
        photo(width 25%)
        text(width 75%)
The main thing is as much content as you like in 1 line, this is optimization of the amount of site code and simplification of the adaptive, now within one column you can change the order of blocks as you like and there will never be a problem of 3 columns

What is the cool idea of ‚Äč‚ÄčElementor

Any constructor objectively always generates a lot of extra code, and often a lot (an example about columns with a photo), but it's simple, understandable and convenient for a simple user. But if you want to make a cool, high-quality site and at the same time continue to use the constructor - here it is, the ability to align the content in the column as you like and place any number of plugins in the column with a width even in pixels, even in percentages and indent these plugins on any side .

It seems to me that the question here is not about copying competitors, but about the maximum flexibility and functionality of the tool. It's tricky to do, but it's the skeleton from which to build the site, and this feature would make the gridbox just light years ahead.

To be fair, other editors have a lot to learn from YOU! Gridbox is a very powerful solution, but at the same time it feels like endless potential! This is a tool that in the future will destroy the need for layout code)

I remembered one more simple thing, which is most likely just a mistake or omission. For example, on a PC I have 2+4+4+2 columns, on a mobile I can change them as I want, at least (6+6+6+6), but on a laptop if I change something, it will change on the PC, this very often interferes and limits, and their sizes differ greatly, you have to get out.

1 month 4 days ago #4

• Dave
I'd love to see the ability to add columns on desktop as 12+12+6+6, etc. Being able to set column widths on mobile to 12 but not on desktop still baffles me. So useful it would be.

1 month 4 days ago #5

• maffeaffe
+1