Mon. - Fri. 9 am - 5 pm Ask a Question
Remember me

Text Plugin - Paste Without Formatting

1 month 2 days ago #1

• Marc
Editing a page and pasting into the Text & HeadLine plugin, formatting from the source is included. From Word, LibreOffice, emails to web pages - the source formatting always gets included. This is frustrating when copying large amounts of text from clients.

I've already set the Text and Headline characteristics in Gridbox, so I want the pasted text to honour those settings.

The workaround, is to copy each piece of text into a simple notepad (therefore losing the formatting), then copy it again, and pasting into the Gridbox page. OR every time, go into the Source view for the Text plugin, and painstakingly remove all the CSS tags.

Both workarounds are arduous and potentially introduce copy/paste errors - could a "Paste Without Formatting" option be added to the right-click context menu for the text plugin and Header Plugin?

I feel it would be a small change to GridBox, but would save a huge amount of time for me, for every website I create.

Many thanks,
Marc

1 month 2 days ago #2

• Dave
I've asked for this to be an option and remove all formatting. The suggestion did not get approved.

You can copy and paste with the keyboard instead. Use Ctrl + Shift + v instead of Ctrl + v to paste without formatting of any kind.

It works but I like JCE's ability to strip out the code so I don't have to show clients and expect them to remember that.

4 weeks 2 days ago #3

• Artem
Hi there!

The feature will be available from the next update. Font styles from 3rd party sources will be automatically deleted

Regards,
Artem, Balbooa.com

4 weeks 2 days ago #4

• Marc
Thanks Vyacheslav, this simple change will save a lot of work.

FYI - I've also discovered when pasting into the Headline plugin, the original text formatting can also be kept. This causes the headline not to change with Theme settings for different devices (took me a while to work out what the cause was).

Deleting the Headline text doesn't seem to work. The only solution is to delete the headline plugin and add a new one. Hopefully this change will fix this anomaly as well?

Many thanks
Marc

4 weeks 2 days ago #5

• Artem
Marc,

Regarding the Headline. If you want the styles in the headline plugin to inherit the theme styles, you don't have to make any changes in the headline design tab, since after changes styles override theme styles. These are CSS features

Many thanks,
Artem, Balbooa.com

4 weeks 2 days ago #6

• Marc
Hi Artem,

I'll need to investigate further, but I:

- set up the Theme to have smaller sized font on phones
- this worked for existing pages
- I then duplicated a page (which contained a Headline plugin)
- I updated the Headline plugin with the new text
- Discovered the Headline text didn't change to the smaller font on phones, as set in the Theme
- The Headline text did not have any overrides in the design tab
- On the phone sizes, the Theme displayed the smaller font, but when looking at the headline design tab, the larger font was shown (and the reset curled arrow was not shown next to the font size).
- Deleting / changing the Headline text made no difference - it would not resize on phones
- However, once I deleted the Headline plugin and added a new one, it then followed the Theme settings.
- This happened on several pages on my latest project

I believed this was due to pasting formatted text into the Headline. Wanted to make you aware, in case it was related to the Text plugin. If I have time, I will try to reproduce.

Thanks again.

4 weeks 2 days ago #7

• Dave
I believe this is true. It adds the styles pasted somewhere but deleting the text does not remove it. Stripping code from all pasting would be a great improvement. Or a setting to allow this.

4 weeks 2 days ago #8

• Marc
Hi Artem,

Here's an example. This page has two Headlines, both set to H1.

As you can see, the top Headline "Reconstruction ..." is being displayed correctly with size 76, serif.

The second Headline immediately underneath, "considering ..." was pasted into the Headline (on page) and it kept the formatting (it's obviously not 76px and the wrong font). Even though no overrides are made on the Headline design tab, the Headline keeps this formatting and will not change for the Theme settings. The font is fixed.

This is an obvious example, as the formatting is very different from the target format. However, if you are pasting from a source with similar formatting to that of the website, it just looks like the Theming is not working.

... basically, I wondered if you could also stop formatting from being kept for Headline plugins as well? Or maybe your recent fix will already cater for this.

Thanks for all your help!
Marc

3 weeks 7 hours ago #9

• Marc
Hi there,

I've now updated to the latest Gridbox, but unfortunately, there's still an issue with pasting / theming. I performed the following:

- added text underneath images as a caption
- pasted in text

Unfortunately, the text does not honour the theming style. I.e.

The theme dictates, font size should be 14px when using a phone view. The "In the Luxembourg .." was pasted in. Note - Text source only shows text in a <p> tags - so nothing out of the ordinary. For comparison, "click here" contains the default text, unchanged. As seen, only the default text honours the theme font size.

Debug shows the text is 16px when on a phone view.

After saving the page and re-opening, viewing the text properties, it's shows 16px, and the option to reset it.

However, if reset pressed, 14px is shown, but the reset does not disappear (see below image). Also, after resetting, when the page is saved and re-loaded, the text properties again show 16px? Neither a reset nor adding new text resolves the issue - this text plugin is fixed to 16px (and the only tag in the source tab is <p>, no inline styles).

This problem is happening a lot for me. Basically, this text plugin has stopped responding to the theme settings. The only resolution is to delete the text plugin and add a new one.

Would you like to take a look to fix the bug, before I delete the text plugin?

Many thanks
Marc

2 weeks 4 days ago #10

• Marc
I may be able start a new website tomorrow, so I will try to reproduce this issue when the website has entirely been created using the latest Gridbox. The website with these errors has been upgraded with at least three different Gridbox versions.

2 weeks 2 days ago #11

• Artem
Hello Marc,

Sorry for the delay with a reply.

After resetting the font- size to 14px, you still have 16px, cause on higher devices (tablets) in the plugin text you didn't reset the font size, and the font size comes from a higher device and not from the theme.

Inheritance from a parent (higher device) to a child (lower device) - it's a base of CSS.

Many thanks,
Artem, Balbooa.com