Crafted eCommerce Template

Crafted Joomla eCommerce template for kids store and baby shops
Mon. - Fri. 9 am - 5 pm Ask a Question
Remember me

Possiblity to Optimize Images on Upload

8 months 1 week ago #1

• Dave
Hello, JCE Editor has some image settings for uploading image that can be set so the image is optimized and resized, etc. when a user uploads the image.

Many user do not understand about page speed and uploading full size images.

Would there ever be a way to set a image upload size chooser? Maybe we can set a few sizes that would fit the themes layout and they can choose one when uploading an image so it's not 5MB?

Just a thought to make things more SEO friendly.

Thank you

8 months 1 week ago #2

• Rene
With the performance App this is not necessary. Every breakpoint get the optimal compressed and resized image, and recently webp :-)

8 months 1 week ago #3

• Dave
I see, but the one last piece is server space. My VPS is small and I don't want to store hundred of MB of images that are not needed to be that big.

Mabye a setting just to reduce to a certain size then. Like say 1920px max and all images could be resized to save my server's space quota?

Or does this system do that now too?

8 months 6 days ago #4

• Vyacheslav
Hello,
Thank you for contacting us

We recommend using a third-party service for image optimization, for example tinypng.com/ (it reduces the image size well without losing quality)

Or you can use a Gridbox photo editor
www.balbooa.com/blog/gridbox/introducing...site-builder-gridbox

Best Regards,
Vyacheslav, Balbooa Support Team

8 months 5 days ago #5

• Dave
It is just a suggestion that I see other Joomla extension have for uploading images. People are lazy they don't want to go to a website and upload images, download them to upload them to their site.

Again, just an idea to help save room on our servers. We set the maximum image width in pixels and they can upload their 6000px photo they took on their phone and it's resized to 1920px and 1/10th the file size as it's uploaded. It's pretty common.

Just suggestions.

8 months 5 days ago #6

• Vyacheslav
We will consider your offer

Regards,
Vyacheslav, Balbooa.com

7 months 1 week ago #7

• Rene
+1

6 months 4 weeks ago #8

• Dave
If you could just add something to resize down to a specific maximum size and quality. So say 1200px at 80% quality. Just so I can prevent 6 MB images from being uploaded. No image needs to be 6000px wide on the server.

Another option? Can we just JCE Image Manager Extended in the image fields to add photos to the site? It's much smarter. It loads the same folder if you are working so you don't need to find the folder over and over if you keep adding images. Then I can set the upload size and quality in there. Can this just be added as an option if someone wants to use it?

Again, not everyone has unlimited file space.

3 months 4 weeks ago #9

• Dave
Vyacheslav wrote:
Hello,

We recommend using a third-party service for image optimization, for example tinypng.com/ (it reduces the image size well without losing quality)

Or you can use a Gridbox photo editor
www.balbooa.com/blog/gridbox/introducing...site-builder-gridbox

Best Regards,

So does Tinypng Joomla plugin work with Gridbox? extensions.joomla.org/extension/pxlcompressor/

If I am going to offer my clients Gridbox as a website building solution I need to find a way to resize images on upload. I can't expect them to go through multiple steps to work with this. All my hosting is limited in space. VPS 2GB per website and SiteGround Startup is 10GB. Images add up quite fast if the user is uploading 5MB images on a regular basis.

Then there are the backups before updating and for restoring if anything happens. So the storage quickly doubles or triples in size with two or three backups.

I would really appreciate some help here. I am more than happy to use this plugin but it's saying it works with JCE or Media Manager.

Thank you

3 months 4 weeks ago #10

• Vyacheslav
Hello,

We cannot tell you about the correctness of the work of Gridbox with third-party extensions, since there are endless numbers of them and we will not be able to test everything.
As for the optimization of images in the Gridbox, we plan to add such an option in one of the future updates.

Regards,
Vyacheslav, Balbooa.com

3 months 4 weeks ago #11

• Rene
+1

3 months 4 weeks ago #12

• Dave
You told me to use TinyPNG so why are you telling me you don't know anything about it? This plugin is for Joomla's Media Manager and would be a good idea for your system too.

Why can't you add this to your system then? You recommend it and it's free to use.

Do you know when you could add this or something else to the system? The store is farther along now and perhaps you could work on other things?

Thank you

3 months 4 weeks ago #13

• Vyacheslav
We told you to use an online service for compressing images, not Tinypng Joomla plugin...
Vyacheslav wrote:

Regards,
Vyacheslav, Balbooa.com

3 months 4 weeks ago #14

• Dave
I hope you can fix this asap. Server storage space is a real issue for many.

TinyPNG might be a good integration.

2 months 1 week ago #15

• Vyacheslav
Hello,

Thank you for contacting us!

Compress images on upload is already available in the update
www.balbooa.com/blog/gridbox/introducing...ements-and-bug-fixes

Best Regards,