Remember me

Items per page

7 years 4 months ago #1

• Robert
Would it be possible to handle "images per page" differently or with a yes/no option?

I am using METRO and picked 22 as my "images per page". So after 22 images the next page starts, even if 2 more images would easily fit and make the page "round".

So how to explain: Check for "images per page", but give option to optionally fill up the page (blanks) for that "clean" look, if more images are available.

Do I make sense?

7 years 4 months ago #2

• Artem

7 years 4 months ago #3

• Robert
Hi Artem,

10, 20 etc does not work with 4 columns. 16 always fills the first page, but starting with page 2, I get the "holes" again. I tried a bunch of numbers, did not hit the jackpot... :S

7 years 4 months ago #4

• Robert
Actually I am trying 34 items at the moment and can't see a pattern in METRO. If I go down the left side of the pictures I see no recurring pattern.

Check this out: www.poldi.sonnabend-edv.de/index.php/ver...-15-im-pz-mannheim-2

7 years 4 months ago #5

• Robert
Actually 16 does not work either.

Works: www.poldi.sonnabend-edv.de/index.php/ver...1-04-15-drehzahlfest
Not: www.poldi.sonnabend-edv.de/index.php/ver...02-15-im-pz-mannheim

But the layout is not always the same, as you can see from these examples.

7 years 4 months ago #6

• Artem
You have 5 columns galleries, the full repeat with 5 columns comes on 50 images, so you need to set 50 images

7 years 4 months ago #7

• Robert
60 years old and can't count to 5... :evil:

Now I set 4 columns and 20, doesn't work. What am I still doing wrong?

www.poldi.sonnabend-edv.de/index.php/ver...02-15-im-pz-mannheim

7 years 4 months ago #8

• Artem
There is something wrong, layout is not correctly generated, try to change Metro to another layout, Save, then back to metro

7 years 4 months ago #9

• Artem
Here is the right 4 column layout
www.poldi.sonnabend-edv.de/index.php/ver...1-04-15-drehzahlfest

Just for test try to add more images, and you will see that second page will look awesome

7 years 4 months ago #10

• Robert
I did the switch thing a couple of times before I wrote the post.

For some reason, it does not work for these 2 pages, amongst others:

Got the message "generating thumbnails" but no change:
www.poldi.sonnabend-edv.de/index.php/ver...-15-im-pz-mannheim-2

There are a few more pages where it also does not work out. I have set 4 columns and 20 pics.

7 years 4 months ago #11

• Robert
As far as I can tell, the "wrong" layout is chosen by the gallery. Should they not all look alike?

So at the moment, I think it is GALLERYS "fault". For some reason, the wrong template is chosen for some pages. I have changed to a different layout and back to METRO, no change. Almost as if the wrong template is hardcoded...

I will gladly help testing... Would you like to log in to the test site?

7 years 4 months ago #12

• Robert
www.poldi.sonnabend-edv.de/index.php/ver...hinderhannes-classic

For whatever reason, this works perfect for 20 pages!

7 years 4 months ago #13

• Artem
Now everything is clear

This is not a Gallery, it's just a category of some Gallery, right?

So, you should be sure that your each category include no more than 10,20,30,40 .... images

Regards,

7 years 4 months ago #14

• Robert
Yes, it is a category, but they are all in the gallery 2012. So they should all look alike. I am just generating new gallerys (2011) and so far, all good!. Looks like if you change to different layout and come back, sometimes gallery does not "notice" the change. As far as I can tell, only METRO has that problem.

7 years 4 months ago #15

• Robert
Nope, does not always work. Just went south again. Check it out: www.poldi.sonnabend-edv.de/index.php/32-.../12-07-dansk-verbaut

Wrong template as far as I can tell. The pictures are sorted differently than the last 4 I generated. All in the same gallery!

Check this out: www.poldi.sonnabend-edv.de/index.php/32-...wtl-fotos-von-bernie
Everything under "WTL aus Atlanta" was generated today from the same gallery (2011). Every page should have the same layout, right? Wrong!!!

7 years 4 months ago #16

• Robert

If I understand you correctly, all GALLERYS should look the same. If the gallery starts as in the pic above (small, small, long) then everything works out fine.

Unfortuanately, this does not happen. I get all kinds of different layouts and they then don't fill the page.

All gallerys are set to METRO with 4 columns and 20 pics. That is not what is happening on my site.

7 years 4 months ago #17

• Robert
Have you looked into this? Do you know what I mean by this?

7 years 4 months ago #18

• Artem
Solution is very simple!

1. You need for each page create own Gallery, set up - Metro / 4 Columns / 10,20,30 pictures per page

or

2. Each category should include 10, 20, 30 pictures. not 9, not 11, should be 10,20, or 30 pictures

Regards,

7 years 4 months ago #19

• Robert
Either you are kidding, or you don't understand what I mean!

Of course the last of x pages will not work out, if I use more than 10,20,30,etc. pictures. But the previous pages should. That is NOT the case at the moment. You have a bug in there somewhere.

This should work out: www.poldi.sonnabend-edv.de/index.php/mai...2-09-pillersee-tag-3

But I can already see by the "template" at the beginning, that it is not going to work out.

7 years 4 months ago #20

• Artem
I'm not kidding and I'm perfectly understand the reason of problem. And it's not a bug!

it is not a separate gallery, it's a category, right?
www.poldi.sonnabend-edv.de/index.php/mai...2-09-pillersee-tag-3

Gallery does not generate Grid Layouts for each category separately. Layout start generation from the First image in your Gallery, not category

7 years 4 months ago #21

• Artem
Here is Example:

Gallery 1
- Category A - 15 Images
- Category B - 12 Images

At Front you display Category B, but Layout start generating from the Category A

To solve problem, should be:
- Category A = 20 Images
- Category B = 10 Images
- Category C = 60 Images
- Category D = 80 Images
- Category D = 10 Images

7 years 4 months ago #22

• Robert
Artem wrote:
Gallery does not generate Grid Layouts for each category separately. Layout start generation from the First image in your Gallery, not category
Ups, that's not good!! Why is that? Each category should be handled separately. Isn't that hell on resources if only one category is shown and the whole gallery "gets involved"?
Nobody has a decimal number (10,20,30,etc) of pictures in the category! Throw out pictures of grandma or grandpa or maybe mom.... :ohmy: :unsure:
So far I really liked the gallery, but this handling is beyond me.
So I have to set up a zillion gallerys for it to work, right? I did not check yet, but I didn't happen to see how to move the pictures without having to reload them all! :ohmy: :unsure:

7 years 4 months ago #23

• Robert
I think I finally see the pattern. That is why the first category is ok and after that everything goes south. Pretty sure you should rethink this logic.

Sorry, but for my understanding, each category should start at the same position in the "template". Each category is self-sufficient and not in any way connected to the previous one except for being in the same gallery.

7 years 4 months ago #24

• Robert
I was playing around with the different layouts. Thumbnails are generated per category, so why don't they also display by category and not by gallery? It's not logical, at least not to me. :S

7 years 4 months ago #25

• Artem
You don't need to re-upload all your images, you can just duplicate your gallery and remove categories

But it so important?! your gallery looks awesome. Also, if it's very important has squared view (without blank spaces in the bottom) why not to use Masonry or Justified Grid Layouts.

By the way Justified Layout it's most popular layout for today. Google Photos, 500px, Flickr - most popular websites for photographers comes with Justified Grid Layout. Just think about it.

Yes, I'm agree with you, will be better to start Metro grid layout, also from the category. We didn't it earlier?! because no one asked us for this. Usually, our customers use Masonry or Justified layouts, because those layouts are not cropping images

Regards,

7 years 4 months ago #26

• Robert
"because no one asked us for this."
Ask! :whistle:

Seeing that it soon will be Christmas and you are such nice guys, I will just ask: Is it possible to "fix" (change) this issue? I really, really like the METRO layout, but really, really hate the empty spaces. And there is no way I can (I will loose to many pictures) round the amount of pictures in each category.

If I haven't mentioned it before: Very nice product and a real important addition to my site. Premier support also! Thank you guys!

7 years 4 months ago #27

• Artem
We did a small customization for you. Before testing clear your Browser cache!
www.poldi.sonnabend-edv.de/index.php/mai...2-09-pillersee-tag-3

Looks good? :cheer:

Now you need to regenerated thumbnails in each gallery, for this just open each gallery and change quality,
just 1-2%

Regards,

7 years 4 months ago #28

• Robert
Artem wrote:
Looks good? :cheer:
No, it looks f-ing P E R F E C T!!!! A lot more people will choose METRO now! :P

Thank you guys, my site is pretty much perfect now!!! I am assuming this is a permanent fix and does not "disappear" after an upgrade! :S

And, I still have my order in the backend that makes sense to me. Did not have to move anything around!! I am VERY, VERY happy with this solution!