Remember me

Reducing file size of existing photos in gallery

1 year 2 weeks ago #1

• Matt King
I thought I could delete a large photo and upload a smaller version, but it seems the size doesn't change. So I tried opening a photo in the photo editor, changing the dimensions to a smaller version using the compression setting but the file size does not change and the image on the front end no longer shows up. Ultimately, all I want to do is get rid of all 1MB+ photos that someone uploaded into the galleries and replace them with smaller versions, but I can't find a way to do it. I'm trying to do this in a staging site and all cache is disabled.

Note: Balboa Gallery was installed to replace a Joomla 3 BTslideshow gallery in a new Joomla 4 installation. I don't know if that helps or not, but thought I'd include the info. Any help on how to completely remove or replace an existing Gallery photo with a smaller version would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 year 2 weeks ago #2

• Matt King
I just did a "test" to see the actual sizes of the photos in the front end gallery. The photo I edited with the Gallery photo editor no longer shows up in lightbox full view. I downloaded another photo that the gallery says is 3MB (see attachment), but it's actually 219KB. What size value does Gallery display in the Gallery Manager? How can I get the image of the photo I edited with the Gallery photo editor to show up again?

Let me know if you need clarification or more information. Thanks again!

1 year 1 week ago #3

• Matt King
The compression setting is working great, but is there a way to not have Gallery save the original files? Eventually they will take up quite a bit of disk space.

1 year 1 week ago #4

• Viacheslav
Hello,

Unfortunately there is no such possibility.

Regards,
Vyacheslav, Balbooa.com