Advanced Hover Settings

Advanced Hover Settings For Joomla Website Builder Gridbox
Mon. - Fri. 9 am - 5 pm Ask a Question
Remember me

Google and Gallery

7 months 2 weeks ago #1

• Mathew
Hi All,
I love your Gallery component however I am a little worried my images will not be indexed like some others here.
Could you please make it clear on how to make the FULL images (not the thumbnail) indexed by google please.
I think you should write a blog post regarding how to get the most effectiveness out of your gallery in terms of SEO.
Your customers seem very confused.
Regards,
Mathew

7 months 2 weeks ago #2

• Artem
Hi Mathew!

Sorry for the delay with a reply!
I can recommend you to check this topic B)
support.balbooa.com/forum/joomla-gallery...the-thumbnails#56373

Regards,
Artem, Balbooa.com

4 months 2 weeks ago #3

• Mathew
Hi guys,
I have had my website live for 6 months now and I simply cannot get google to index my large images on my galleries. I do not understand why this is so difficult with this component. I am looking at using a different component now as this is so important for the growth of my website.

I need you guys to have a good look at why this is happening. I really like this gallery, you guys have done an excellent job. I do not want to change galleries. I have had some success using search console and manually indexing the lightbox link for my images however you can only do 6 links per day and I have a very large gallery so it is very annoying.

I have manually included some images in my sitemap and this still does not work. What am I doing wrong? I struggle to give joomla access due to my security though server, cloudflare and joomla so I would appreciate if you guys could simply ask me what files you want to look at and ill attach them to the forum.

At this link: provincialfloors.com.au/images/sitemap_images.xml my image sitemap is shown. If you scroll to the bottom you will see I have created custom links to these lightboxes in my sitemap. Is there any issue with what I have done?

At this link: gyazo.com/47780aac763e0e0413e6ab4c61a03705 you can see that the majority of my lightbox links do not have a selected canonical, perhaps this is my issue?

Please let me know what you think and how I can improve this situation - keep in mind I have followed all forum recommendations and I still have no success.

Thank you.

4 months 1 week ago #4

• Artem
Hi Mathew,

During exploring an issue with Gallery pics, I made a basic SEO audit of your site.

1. From www to non-www is not configured, it's very important
2. Your site robots.txt doesn't include a link to your original sitemap.xml with images
3. Your site comes with 2 image sitemaps

provincialfloors.com.au/index.php?option...itemap&format=images
and
provincialfloors.com.au/images/sitemap_images.xml

So, first of all, I recommend you to organize things above

To the image sitemap, no reason to include links to thumbnails, you should use links to lightbox images

Bad:
<image:loc>https://provincialfloors.com.au/images/bagallery/gallery-2/thumbnail/category-2/Herringbone-Parquetry-33-provincialfloors.jpg</image:loc>

Good
<image:loc>https://provincialfloors.com.au/images/bagallery/gallery-2/watermark/Herringbone-Parquetry-33-provincialfloors.jpg</image:loc>

Another thing, check this URL
www.google.com/search?tbs=simg:CAQShAIJn...imgrc=TEsaYk7hX-5GJM

It's a Gallery picture which is correct and your sitemap doesn't include a link to the lightbox of this picture. As you can see the Gallery pic in lightbox is indexed. Did you submit this pic to Google?

Regards,
Artem, Balbooa.com

4 months 1 week ago #5

• Mathew
Hi Artem,
thank you for having a good look for what is causing this.

I have now forced www. for all my pages, thank you for that.

As far the the two image sitemaps, the original image sitemap at provincialfloors.com.au/index.php?option...itemap&format=images is generated by Jsitemaps which does not index the lightbox images and therefore does not show in the sitemap (it indexes thumbnails in your gallery though). The second sitemap is one I manually wrote to try and include these lightbox images. These are shown on the google console as "Duplicate, submitted URL not selected as canonical". If you have a gmail I can easily share the search console with you.

Yes, I submitted www.google.com/search?tbs=simg:CAQShAIJn...imgrc=TEsaYk7hX-5GJM to google via search console.

Any more ideas?

Regards,
Mathew

4 months 1 week ago #6

• Vyacheslav
Hello,
Thank you for contacting us

Google does not index images because lightbox images are not in source code
We are not adding a lightbox to the source code, because the original images are large and will greatly affect the speed of the page.
We can suggest that you increase the size of the thumbnails in the gallery settings, and so that they are not cut off, use a different layout (Justified or Masonry)

Regards,
Vyacheslav, Balbooa.com

4 months 1 week ago #7

• Mathew
Hi Artem,
thanks for getting back to me.

This is a very big problem for all those that require their images to be indexed by google in order to grow their businesses. A Gallery should be able to be properly indexed with their titles and images without a problem. There is no point of having google index thumbnails that will only drive traffic to the gallery menu rather than the actual photo. If I increase the sizes of my thumbnails the gallery would load slower as well which isn't a very fair proposition.

Your component is perfect in every way aside from this major downfall. I think all of your customers should know this is a reality of your gallery as this can play a major factor in those that want to purchase your component.

Could you please create a patch to include lightboxes in your source code so I could at least test the speed. If you will not do this I am going to have to change galleries which is very unfortunate.

Did your team just come to the realization that google would never index the lightbox images? I have seen many of this forum ask for help and you have confidently said that this is a fault of google and not the gallery. This is very unclear for your customers. I have spent months on trying to fix this issue and reading your forums so its very upsetting that only now you have come out and said it's basically impossible - I have wasted my time.

Unfortunately I am very disappointed :(

Regards,
Mathew

4 months 1 week ago #8

• Mathew
Furthermore, could you atleast add the facility for your users to add a canonical tag to each lightbox - seems to me this is all that google is missing.

Thanks.

4 months 1 week ago #9

• Artem
In previous versions of the gallery, the lightbox link was available to search bots. But due to the large number of requests from our users regarding Google alert "duplicated content", we were forced to remove this link.

Canonical tags work only for root links, like a
www.site.com/page

The tag canonical can't work for links like:
www.site.com/page?some-title

Let's back to your gallery.

Take a look at my video:
www.awesomescreenshot.com/video/4079528?...f450a66f9739c4e68111

By this video, we can say, that Google is indexing pic in the lightbox and indexing the lightbox link. Why this picture is displaying correctly in Google with a link to the Lightbox?! I'm sorry, but I can't answer, I'm not a Google

I strongly recommend you create the correct sitemap for pictures in the lightbox, without using 3rd party extensions
<url>
    <loc>https://a-dezign.de/index.php/galerie-artwork?nuernberg-1</loc>
    <image:image>
      <image:loc>https://a-dezign.de/images/bilder_artwork/01_neuheiten/nuernberg_1.jpg</image:loc>
    </image:image>
  </url>

Regards,
Artem, Balbooa.com

4 months 1 week ago #10

• Dave
If you are using JSitemap Pro like me you may be able to get the developer to help you fix this in the sitemap. We just fixed the Gridbox permissions to exclude the restricted pages from the sitemap.

He may be able to help you fix the image sitemap to index the original photo vs the compressed version. He would just need to know the database table I think.

I am reluctant to switch to this gallery (I have a subscription) because of no pre-upload image resizing. We should be able to set a size in pixels the upload would resize the photo to. I do not need full-size images clogging up my server space.