Remember me

ReCAPTCHA Preventing Forms From Being Submitted

10 months 2 weeks ago #1

• Alex
I am attempting to set up a ReCAPTCHA on fortibus.com to prevent spam bots from filling out the forms on the website. There have been about 70 bot submissions in the last 4 days. The site was just updated to the most recent version of Joomla today.

I have enabled ReCAPTCHA in "Plugins", on the form submission button, and in global configuration. I am getting the result shown in screenshot (fortibus.com-recaptcha-invalid-key-type) The ReCAPTCHA key and secret key are directly copied and pasted from the Google Cloud, so there should be no error in the key itself.

If I add this line of code to the header in Site > General > Scripts (SITE-KEY is placeholder here so I don't share the actual key) then I get the new error shown in screenshot (fortibus.com-recaptcha-error-message) where the checkbox does not show up at all.

<script src="www.google.com/recaptcha/enterprise.js?render=SITE-KEY"></script>

I have tried using Invisible ReCAPTCHA as well, enabling it in "Plugins", on the form submission button, and in global configuration. The end result for the Invisible version is that any time the submit button is clicked on a form, either nothing happens at all, or the page simply re-loads itself. In all cases no forms are ever submitted successfully to the backend.

I have currently turned off the ReCAPTCHA on the form submit buttons, which allows for users to still successfully submit their information for the time being. All other code is still in the header and the ReCAPTCHA is still enabled in "Plugins" and Global Configuration.

10 months 2 weeks ago #2

• Viacheslav
Hello,
Thank you for contacting us

The problem is related to the captcha, try to generate new keys

Regards,
Vyacheslav, Balbooa.com

10 months 2 weeks ago #3

• Alex
Got it working. The issue is that the checkbox requires a V2 key, which can no longer be generated, and is not backwards compatible with the new Enterprise version of ReCAPTCHA.

Invisible ReCAPTCHA is working fine except for one complication. If you have a form with Invisible ReCAPTCHA active on a lightbox, as well as one on the page, then the error message seen in screenshot 2 above shows up and the form cannot be submitted on either the lightbox or the page. I don't know if this is a complication with having two ReCAPTCHAs on the page at the same time, or if it is related to how the lightbox hides content when it is not active and that is affecting the ReCAPTCHA on the page.

10 months 5 days ago #4

• Alex
Thanks for your initial assistance. The invisible ReCAPTCHA is working well on the site and has stopped the recent bot spam that was clogging our forms submissions.

There is a new problem that has been encountered now, though. When a form using invisible ReCAPTCHA is added to a lightbox, it causes the ReCAPTCHA to fail on all forms while the lightbox is not displayed, and the forms give the error shown in the screenshot below. The only form that works is the one on the lightbox itself.

You can also see in the screenshot that the ReCAPTCHA icon in the corner is not being displayed while the lightbox is hidden, despite it being active on the form on the page. The following screenshot shows how the page looks when the lightbox form no longer has invisible ReCAPTCHA active.

We would like to have a form submission pop-up active on this site, but this issue means that either the forms on the site or the form in the pop-up cannot have ReCAPTCHA active, which causes spam submissions to be submitted through the form.

10 months 3 days ago #5

• Viacheslav
Hello,

Send us a link to page with problem.

Regards,
Vyacheslav, Balbooa.com

10 months 2 days ago #6

• Alex
The issue is present on any page that contains a form with ReCAPTCHA enabled, which includes the following:
fortibus.com
fortibus.com/connect
any of the blog posts on the fortibus.com site

I have sent the list as well as login info through the support ticket. Thank you for your help!