Mon. - Fri. 9 am - 5 pm Ask a Question
Remember me

Commas in text fields and CSV exports

3 months 1 week ago #1

• Chris
Hi there

I am noting that if I allow a text field and he user includes a comma in the text, then this causes havoc in CSV exports.

Also, if a user leaves a field blank, then the CSV export does not show it as an empty field, instead, it simply leaves the field out of the export.

Eg: If the form has 3 fields A, B and C but B is not completed (and not required), the CSV shows

A,C instead of A,,C

Is this a bug or an anomaly or a config issue?

Chris

3 months 1 week ago #2

• Vyacheslav
Hello,
Thank you for contacting us

We will notify you as soon as we find out the cause and find a solution to this problem.

Regards,
Vyacheslav, Balbooa.com

1 month 1 week ago #3

• Chris
Hi there

I know I haven't chased you on this as its not a killer right now but it's still happening.

Just to say, this is a problem on text and text area fields. When they are exported, and if the text in those fields contains commas, then the exported CSV data is a real mess.

In addition, where fields are non-required, if left blank, they are not exported and again this creates a mess in the CSV export.

Can you advise if this is fixed in recent updates?

Many thanks for an otherwise splendid component!

1 month 1 week ago #4

• Vyacheslav
Hello,

Thank you for contacting us!

This is how it should work
as a fix we can remove all commas in the text

Best Regards,
Vyacheslav, Balbooa Support Team

1 month 1 week ago #5

• Chris
Hi there

Can I make an alternative suggestion:

1. Retain commas in text fields
2. Replace any SEMICOLONS with COLONS
3. On the Export to CSV option, set field delimiters to SEMICOLON instead of COMMA and make a note to the user that export CSV uses SEMICOLON as field delimiters.

This way we get round the lack of commas that are often of great use for reader of form data!

What do you think?

The issue of empty fields in a form NOT being exported remains. So, if we have 3 fields A, B, C and B is empty, the CSV export will show (in text view):

A,B nor A,,B

Thoughts?
Chris

1 month 6 days ago #6

• Artem
Hi Chris,

I have explored this question and didn't find any issue with commas in the text. Please check my screens:

My form:

Data in Sheets:

I recommend you to use Google Sheets

Regards,
Artem, Balbooa.com