Mon. - Fri. 9 am - 5 pm Ask a Question
Remember me

Performance Issues

1 week 4 days ago #1

• Alex
Hey guys. I have performance app installed and have set html, javascript, css to be minified ... page and browser caching on, and the only thing not on is deferred loading because my site actually loads slower with that on vs off.

Google Page Speed Insights is only reporting 28% on mobile and can't get over 78% on desktop and the bigget item it says needs to be addressed is "Remove unused JavaScript" but I am not seeing what I can remove. Any suggestions on what I can do for this client as this is hurting their SEO. There are a few more things I am going to try as it looks like maps.googleapis.com is one of the resources causing issues which I do have a map in the footer so I am going to replace that with a static map. Youtube background video is also on the desktop version but not on mobile so not sure how that is affecting things but it does list youtube as another possible issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 week 3 days ago #2

• Artem
Hi, Alex :)

Website optimization is a very individual question. Each site is unique. Basic things you can find here:
www.balbooa.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/how...e-pagespeed-insights

But will be great to check your site - send us a link :)

Regards,
Artem, Balbooa.com

3 days 5 hours ago #3

• Alex
Thanks Artem. Before having you spend any time on it I have been doing some research and playing with different things. One thing I have a question on is Browser Caching and Page Caching only supposed to be on in gridbox settings but not in Joomla Global Config? Only gzip on in Global Config.

Also I am wondering if it is even worth having a video from youtube on the page because of the speed hit. Page speed insights reports terrible speed scores if you have any background video or even if you have a regular video embedded on the page. Not sure why though. When I load it on my phone it only takes a like 2 seconds to load yet Page speed insights reports a failing score 32%. On desktop a page I checked seems to load blazing fast yet google reports a 74%.

For example I get this message "1.2MiB of JavaScript is parsed during initial page load. Defer parsing JavaScript to reduce blocking of page rendering." and all of this is related to the youtube video on the page. I do have the "Deferred Loading" enabled in gridbox performance.

I may just send you the link through a support ticket but testing a couple of other things out first.

Pages without video get higher scores by around 20% or more. Not sure why if youtube is serving up the video. Video is really good for customer conversions. Would it be better to optimize the video and instead of embedding from youtube load it directly from the server?

I hate doing this though because of the SEO benefit. We rank the video in youtube and then embed it on the website so would prefer serving the video from youtube if possible.

2 days 21 hours ago #4

• Artem
Hi, Alex!

1. No reason to enable cache in the Joomla Global configuration, only in the Gridbox Performance.
2. If you want to get High Performance 90 and more, you should forget about 3party tools:

- Google ReCaptcha;
- Google Maps;
- YouTube ;
- Google Fonts;
- Iframes;
- etc;

Regards,
Artem, Balbooa.com