Multi-Currency Pricing in Gridbox Store App

Multi-Currency Pricing in Gridbox Store App
Mon. - Fri. 9 am - 5 pm Ask a Question
Remember me

Warning because of Google fonts

2 weeks 2 days ago #1

• Soner
Following a decision by the Munich Regional Court, website operators with embedded Google Fonts are increasingly receiving warnings.
This is because the integration of dynamic web content such as Google Fonts from US web services is illegal without the visitors' consent. Website operators can be sued for injunctive relief and damages.
The basic legal position, on the other hand, is clear: "The unauthorised disclosure of the plaintiff's dynamic IP address by the defendant to Google constitutes a violation of the general right of personality in the form of the right of informational self-determination under section 823 (1) BGB",

link to Webside: Linkt to Webside

All my websites are with Gridbox and they all use Goolge fonts. Do I have to pay attention to anything?
What do you say?

Best regards

2 weeks 2 days ago #2

• Artem
Hello Soner,

Google Fonts is not GDPR compliant.
In January 2022 the regional court in the German city of Munich has declared that Google Fonts is not GDPR/DSGVO-compliant.

In this case, you need to disable Google Fonts in performance settings and replace them by local fonts
support.balbooa.com/forum/gridbox/1073-h...e-google-fonts#71508
www.balbooa.com/gridbox-documentation/adding-custom-fonts

Regards,
Artem, Balbooa.com

2 weeks 1 day ago #3

• Soner
The first lawyer's letter arrived today. :S
My client has to pay a fine of 170€ for using Google Fonts. Therefore, I advise all web designers living in Germany to remove all Google Fonts from their website.
170€ is still fair. There can be fines of up to 25000€.

regards
Attachments:

1 week 6 days ago #4

• Vyacheslav
Hello,
Thank you for contacting us!

We can not check the site indicated on the screen (eifeler-kebaphause.de) as it is not working

Best Regards,
Vyacheslav, Balbooa Support Team

1 week 6 days ago #5

• Soner
Hello Vyachleslav
it dont works?
please check it again

Link to webside
regards

1 week 6 days ago #6

• Vyacheslav
Maybe it has something to do with the map.

Best Regards,
Vyacheslav, Balbooa Support Team

1 week 6 days ago #7

• Soner
that could be, of course.
i just removed some recaptcha. and the errors were gone.
I will remove the google maps today.

regards

1 week 5 days ago #8

• Manes Aegerter
Sorry to jump in the discussion, but this caught my attention. Would it be a solution to download the google font and add it to the website as a custom one ? In this case there would be no link to google as far as I could understand... I make websites in Switzerland, but I guess we have to stay aligned with the european community to avoid any potential problems...

1 week 4 days ago #9

• Soner
@ Manes
Yes, you can do that, but are you allowed to?
Have you read somewhere in Google that you can download the fonts? I have not found anything about it. In the privacy policy it says that Google fonts are loaded and IP is sent to Google. But according to our lawyer this makes no sense. We had to pay 170€ (meanwhile 2 customers).

- The problem is that even with "Recaptcha" any Google fonts are loaded. I have noticed this on OnePage websites. Switching off Gridbox Google font does not help.

- On some websites I have even loaded Google fonts with the Google Maps.

- The best :) Even embedded Youtube videos load Google fonts.

I have tested all my websites here : sicher3.de/google-fonts-checker/

I still have old websites with Gridbox 2... versions. I solved this with this plugin "JMG Disable Google Font".

Conclusion: the future of websites looks very bad in Germany. :ohmy:

1 week 4 days ago #10

• Manes Aegerter
Well I guess we are allowed to download google fonts as they ostensibly offer this possibility (see the screen shot enclosed).

Regarding all googles functions such as recaptcha, YouTube and so on, it seems like the only way to avoid problems using those tools is to get the consent of the users to navigate under these conditions (which is not so difficult to implement). Unfortunately it seems quite difficult to get rid of anything related to google on the web... Which is somehow sad and preoccupant I agree...

1 week 4 days ago #11

• Artem
Hi there!

Google Services - Fonts, ReCaptcha, YouTube, Maps - a big headache in site performance questions. :S
German law it's a great way to start building more faster websites than before. ;)

And yes, font files can be downloaded from Google Fonts and uploaded to Gridbox, it won't be against the law

1 week 4 days ago #12

• Soner
Hello Artem
In the meantime, all lawyers in Germany earn money with warnings :) :whistle:
Today my next customer received a fine of 170€. :(

Google fonts can we download and install legally? perfect. :woohoo:
But what about recaptcha, maps and youtube videos?
The errors remain, don't they?
Do you have a solution or a tip for this?

So a website with only Arial or Georgia looks horrible. :sick:
Attachments:

1 week 4 days ago #13

• Artem
Soner,

- ReCaptcha - can be replaced by spam filters on hosting, and also you can use hCaptcha in forms
- GoogleMaps - can be replaced by a simple screenshot with a link inside to the Google maps site or use Open StreetMap plugin
- YouTube - can be replaced by local mp4 files
- Any Google Font can be downloaded as a local font file and uploaded to Gridbox

Regarding the hCaptcha and Open StreetMap check if these tools are compatible with your law

Many thanks,
Artem, Balbooa.com

1 week 3 days ago #14

• Markus
I have to add to this discussion as well.

The option to upload custom fonts and disable Google fonts in Gridbox is great and works. But Google fonts are loaded in Balbooa forms as well and there is no option to upload custom fonts or disable Google fonts. Is it somehow possible to add the google fonts via ftp or change to custom fonts?

1 week 3 days ago #15

• Artem
Markus,

In the Balbooa Forms, you need to set font-family - inherit. In this case, the font will be inherited from Gridbox, and already in Gridbox you can upload your custom fonts ;)

Regards,
Artem, Balbooa.com

1 week 3 days ago #16

• Markus
Thank you, I missed that setting. Must have always scrolled past it. ;)

1 week 2 days ago #17

• Artem
You're welcome. :cheer:

Regards,
Artem, Balbooa.com