40%

Grab Discount
Mon. - Fri. 9 am - 5 pm Ask a Question
Remember me

author private blog or zero app post acl

3 weeks 1 day ago #1

• BiLe
Hello,

I would like to give authors the possiblity to make blog or (in my case) zero app posts private. Only specific users should be able to view those posts. Password protection would help, just as you have it with gallery already.

Since your form extension offers custom php code, I can do some custom coding in order to push new posts into database tables.

My question is about frontend ACL.

Would it be a good idea to do the following:

1. Upon register of a new user, create a new author and ACL level for this author
2. Assign users to specific author ACL level

I am thinking about using upcoming JoomUnited DROPTABLES in order to work out the assignments for authors in frontend (if CRUD will work). This is the only extension that might do a good job in the future.

In case you have a better idea, I would like to hear it.

My only concern:

imagine there are 10.000 users/authors. I would end up to have 10.000 ACL-levels. Not sure if this a good idea or if there is an easier way to accomplish this task. ACL, in my view, makes most sense due to flexibility.

I have also thought about Joomsocial extension, but I rather like to stay with as few extensions as possible and have your extensions as the main source code (lightweight/powerful).

3 weeks 15 hours ago #2

• Vyacheslav
Hello,
Thank you for contacting us

Unfortunately, there is no such possibility at the moment.
We will take into account your offer

Regards,
Vyacheslav, Balbooa.com

2 weeks 6 days ago #3

• BiLe
I know this is not possible yet.

Please allow me to ask, if it would make sense to create ACL level for each user to achieve this or if devs have better thoughts to achieve such acl control without overloading joomla core acl. For example offer password protection and/or adding users/groups to blog/zeroapp content, that are allowed to view such content.

Such security would allow companies to create blog or zero app content for either people who have the password (public/registered) or who are registered and belong to a specific access group. Secured download areas or secured intranet content would be great.

As mentioned, upcoming joomunited extension droptables could help populate such groups, when they offer CRUD tables. New content could be created and secured, using form extension and custom php upon submit.

Sharing content among a specific group of users could be helpful.

I don't expect to get a solution right away.

Just a suggestion.

2 weeks 4 days ago #4

• BiLe
I have just tested it and it is working.

1. Upon register of a user A, I create an author A, usergroup A and access level A for this user
2. Now author A can set access level A for a specific zero app content which should be private
3. Author A could now add specific users to user group A, granting them access.

Therefore author A can now create private content (e.g. gallery, downloads...), which will only be shown to the users that are assigned to usergroup A.

My only concern, as already said, is the amount of usergroups and access levels, since I would have to create those for each new user. Not sure if Joomla can handle a huge amount of users.

Would you recommend such approach?

From a dev perspective, would it be more convenient to enhance zero app (blog) content permission by adding single users who are allowed to view? I know this is not core yet. I would just like to get your opinion on this, before I start developing.

2 weeks 3 days ago #5

• BiLe

I have asked about my approach with Joomla Forum, which helped me make a decision.

Quote: "The reason to avoid it is that every time you save something (article, module, menu etc) it has to store if a group has access to it. Just check the issue tracker and you will see that you will start to get major performance issues as result"

I will consider only 1 secured ACL usergroup and access level, since having such a huge amount of groups and levels would cause performance issues.

2 weeks 2 days ago #6

• Vyacheslav
Hello,
Thank you for contacting us

We believe that you can use the solution that suits you and will help you achieve your goal.

Best Regards,
Vyacheslav, Balbooa Support Team